The World Rock Countdown catches up with lead singer from Seattles’ Vendetta Red – ZACH DAVIDSON
Discover new rock like never before. George keeps you in the know on upcoming bands, new releases, and more! This week we featured exclusives : Pearl Jam (USA), Bad Wolves (USA), Shinedown (USA), The Elm Tree Circle (Germany), Ripe & Ruin (Germany) , Spanish Love Songs (USA), Zayde Wolf (USA), TRC (UK), Reverence (USA), Robert DeLong ft K.Flay (USA), Car Seat Headrest (USA).
The Rock Revival happens now..
This interview was done with Turner Midzain – guitar / vocals
We all come from different influences, and try to utilize that to its fullest when writing. We love everything from Black Sabbath to Every Time I Die, Phil Collins to Seal and Thin Lizzy to Lady Gaga. We love riffs first and foremost. That’s our bread and butter, but how we get to those riffs, stems from all over.
It didn’t really take us too long to find what we wanted to do. The first song we wrote was Don’t Wake The Witch, and that song at the time, embodied what we wanted Woodhawk to sound like. We like riff forward music, with elements of groove and catchy melodies. So we knew what we wanted to do very early on. But crafting it and making it better is always an ongoing process.
We love touring. We all individually love driving around Canada even when not in the bus. It’s beautiful. We had such a blast last year touring Western Canada with Dead Quiet. We hadn’t done a long run with another band before, so that was a lot of fun to being on the road for a couple weeks with some of our best pals. There is always great inside jokes on the road and camaraderie between us on the road. We love it.
Mike and I met back in Elementary school when we were 10. So we go way way back. Mike actually taught me how to play guitar at a sleep over when we were kids. And I was hooked ever since. We’ve always been in various bands together. When Woodhawk first got started up, we had friend just filling in on drums to get us started. And that’s where we met Kevin. We played with one of his other bands at the time and just formed a good friendship. So when we were looking for a permanent drummer, he was the first one to reach out to us.
Not really. Not big hockey followers in general.
That was the previous writer of our bio. Just kind of mashing words together I guess.
We book all our own tours. It’s rewarding in a sense to make a plan and see it come together, but also stressful to juggle dates, venues and other bands. I find it’s more difficult to book a new town for the first time. We book Western Canada fairly easily because we know a lot of venues, promoters and bands, so having a bit of an established following makes it easier to book. This being our first out East was trickier mainly by not knowing as many people. But all the bands we’re playing with on this run were so helpful and accommodating. That’s the nice thing about the music scene here, most musicians are willing to help each other out.
We’re lucky to call some of our favourite bands friends. They make the best records. Dead Quiet’s latest release, the new Black Wizard album, and Bort. For more mainstream stuff, I’ve been hooked on The Dirty Nil and The Beaches lately. We’re always rotating new bands when on tour. Everyone always shares their interests. Some you love, some you hate.
We try to tour when we want and how we want. Sometimes that’s longer stretches and sometimes it’s just weekends. We have bigger plans that will be put in motion for heading overseas and through the US. But right now we’re focusing on Canada. We like to make sure our foot is on stable ground before we start walking. And we need to walk before we run. I’m not sure we’d ever be a “full time” touring band. But it will definitely increase over the years. We felt Beyond The Sun was a great way to kind of make a mark. So hopefully with the next album, we can start making bigger moves.
This week we discover new rock from these artists: Bollywood (India), Deadset Society (Canada), Sleep Science (Canada), The Morningsiders (USA), Cabbage (UK), Rivals (USA), Queen Zee (UK) , The New Age (USA), Savage Hands (USA), and The Dangerous Summer
Every week uncover and discover 10 brand new artists. This is the journey to find the generational talent of tomorrow.
FEVA (UK), Holy Bouncer (Spain), Prism Tats (South Africa), Saytr Play (UK), Offended by Everything (USA), Before I Turn (USA), SKIES (UK), Skylines (USA) High Tropics (Australia), Assuming We Survive (USA)
This week we feature: MESSER (USA), Rival Town (Canada), After The Lounge ( Canada), Turnstile (USA), Lucia (UK), Anteros (UK), October Ends (UK), The Garden (USA), Pleasure Heads (UK), Year of The Locust (USA)
The band has been together two and a half years.
By far, playing a sold out crowd of 3,000+ people, and meeting the most amazing fans ever.
Yes we are with Starset, Grabbitz and Palisades.
We absolutely love it! It has its challenges but completely worth it!
We’re always writing music, and spending time with friends and family.
Wow, yeah it’s still unbelievable to us you know? Still hurt from Prince, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, Tom Petty, and Malcolm Young.
It hurts to see the songwriters and entertainers that you look up too leave this earth, but their legacy will live on through family, fans, and everyone who supports music and following their dreams.
Scars Heal in Time and Sons of Texas to name a few!
Absolutely there is!! We just wrapped up a few weeks in a cabin and in the studio with Producer Brian Bonds formerly “Florida Georgia Line”. We created something amazing! Our first single is titled “Sunrise”!
Follow your heart, save your money, never give up, and always kiss and thank your momma!
Uhhhh…..we plead the fifth on that one!
Haha, we had a great time with Jake and crew! Awesome guys, and they know how to have a good time!
Asking Alexandria, nothing more, Dmx, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach!
A continuation from last year!
Swarm and take over the world!
Oh and get some fish and chips in London!
BUY THEIR MUSIC HERE: YEAR OF THE LOCUST
With the passing of the great Dolores O’Riordan, I started looking back on The Cranberries discography. Dolores had a unique style and was respected by almost everyone in the music industry. Here’s the top 5 songs the Cranberries have put out:
When you hear the bands name, this song echoes in your head.
“Zombie” is a protest song by Irish rock band The Cranberries, written about the 1993 IRA bombing in Warrington, and in memory of two young victims, Johnathan Ball and Tim Parry. It was released in September 1994 as the lead single from their second studio album, No Need to Argue (1994). The song was written by the band’s lead singer Dolores O’Riordan, and reached No. 1 on the charts in Australia, Belgium, France, Denmark and Germany.
It won the “Best Song” award at the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards
It was released in November 1994 as the second single from their second studio album No Need to Argue. The song was a hit in most of the European countries where it was released, peaking at number four in France, its highest position internationally, and number five in Australia. In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album.
It was released in 1992 as the band’s debut single, later appearing on the studio album, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?. An early 1990 version was released in Ireland only in the summer of that year. It reached the Top 15 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay and the top 30 on the UK charts in early 1994.
The backing vocals on the song are sung by Mike Mahoney, ex-boyfriend of Cranberries lead singer Dolores O’Riordan. This hit was also a main feature of the Cranberries in the 1994 Woodstock Revival Festival.
In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album.
It was the first single from their fifth studio album, Wake Up and Smell the Coffee, released in 2001. The promotional video, directed by Keir McFarlane, had to be edited in consequence of the 9/11 attacks, which was partly responsible for the single’s low chart positions in their native Ireland (number 28, their eleventh and last Top 40 hit there) and the UK (number 89, their first single to miss the top 40 since “Animal Instinct”), but became a Top 5 hit in Portugal, Spain and Italy.
It is the third single from their third studio album To the Faithful Departed (1996). The music video was directed by Karen Bellone and was released at the end of 1996. The song was first played during the North American leg of the No Need to Argue Tour in Autumn 1994. In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album
What Cranberries is your favourite? Have your say in the comments or email me email@example.com
Our first guest for season 2 of the World Rock Countdown, was discovered on the 13th installment of the show in 2017. He recently finished a tour with the Glorious Sons in Canada, and is surely going to completely blowup in 2018. With 600,00 followers on Spotify, and growing. grandson is an up and coming artist who’s got what it takes to make serious splash on the music industry. His music is real, speaks truth, and definitely holds nothing back.
He’s determined and for the first time in a long time, I honestly feel really inspired by an artists’ story. grandson, is a very driven, well spoken person, who will no doubt meet his musical goals. He’s got a confidence in himself that many artists lack these days, and this is what sets him apart from the rest. You need to believe in yourself to succeed and grandson has what it takes. Click play to hear podcast below:
2017, was filled with great finds. The World Rock Countdown has discovered and uncovered thousands of bands this past year. This is a list of the 30 bands you need to hear from the past year. Lets get started!
2. Young Kings (UK) – One of the most talented upcoming bands in the UK. Hard working musicians, who’ve got a solid emotional feel to their music.
3. Middle Kids (Australia) – if Elton John loves them, so should you!
4. Days of Jupiter (Sweden), our first feature on the show we awarded to this band. They’ve got an silky smooth hard rock sound that will keep you coming back for more!
5. Skies Collide (Australia), they’ve got such a promising sound that I am more than positive they’ll be playing big stages around the world in the upcoming years. Definitely one of my favourites, give them a listen and get hooked!
6. The Penelopes (France) – for fans of July Talk and U2. They’ve got this interesting feel about their tunes. It’s an indescribable feeling. I usually enjoy this groups music best with a bottle of red and a few friends.
7. Super Best Friends Club (UK), probably the closest resemblance I’ve heard to the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever! The bands name clearly is self explanatory. Get into the groove.
8. Jesper Binzer (Denmark), smokin’ hot Danish rock who’s quickly taking over Europe.
9. Ghost Atlas (USA) – one of the best finds from USA in the year 2017. A band to look out for in 2018!
10. Marina City (USA), rocking out of Chicago. If you’re looking for a band wagon to get on before it breaks out Marina City is one of those bands.
11. Mallory Knox (UK) – one of the WRC’s crowned jewels. Been banging my head since discovering Mallory Knox.
12. Vistas (UK) – you’ll love this band.
13. Hundred Suns (Canada) – features members from Norma Jean, Dead And Divine, and Everytime I Die.
14. Citizen Soldier (USA), I love a band that stands for something.
15. grandson (Canada), was ecstatic to see him open up for one of my favourite bands. Keep grandson on your watch list for 2018!
16. Beat Steaks (Germany) – addictive German rock n roll!
17. Hippo Campus (USA) – very ambient alternative rock. Goes well with surfing the net, or taking a nice cruise down the Pacific Coast Highway on a beautiful summer day!
18. Shout Out Louds (Sweden) , one the worlds best bands right here!
19. IOV (Canada), can it get any better? emotion driven rock recorded at Abbey Road Studios
20. SHAKA PONK (FRANCE) – There’s generational talents out there still..no reason to get worried.
21. Kingswood (Australia), one of the most promising bands discovered on The World Rock Countdown. A generational talent out of Australia. Get Stoked!
22. Cleopatrick (Canada), could these guys save Canadian rock and roll?
23. Normandie (Sweden), catchy hooks and entertaining melody driven guitar riffs. Get your chant on!
24. Wilder (USA), alternative folk rock outta Nashville!
25. Mainland (USA), this could be the catchiest song of 2017. Even Perez Hilton loves them! Dig in. You will hear this on your radio in 2018
26. Of Allies (UK), hard rock headed for world domination!
27. Merge (France) , an emerging artist out of France who’s got smooth choruses and an amazing sound.
28. These New South Wales (Australia), takes there influences and puts them on display in this track. Think vintage punk rock mixed with some newer Iggy Pop.
29. The White Dominos (Denmark) – Mix the rock with some good old groove from 80’s disco.
30. DRMCTHR (USA), gives me the Deftones feel mixed with some more ambient guitars.