Every week uncover and discover 10 brand new artists. This is the journey to find the generational talent of tomorrow.
FEVA (UK), Holy Bouncer (Spain), Prism Tats (South Africa), Saytr Play (UK), Offended by Everything (USA), Before I Turn (USA), SKIES (UK), Skylines (USA) High Tropics (Australia), Assuming We Survive (USA)
This week we feature: MESSER (USA), Rival Town (Canada), After The Lounge ( Canada), Turnstile (USA), Lucia (UK), Anteros (UK), October Ends (UK), The Garden (USA), Pleasure Heads (UK), Year of The Locust (USA)
Marc Rizzo, is one of the busiest musicians in the game. He plays lead guitar in Cavalera Conspiracy, Soulfly, Dead By Wednesday, and his own solo project. He stopped by the World Rock Countdown to talk about a brand new solo record, Soulfly, and life on the road. You don’t want to miss this!
Welcome to Season 2! This week we discovered: Siamese Cats (JAPAN), Incase We Crash ( Canada), Chief State (Canada), NU-95 (USA), Ded Rabbit (UK), Homebound (UK), Solence (Sweden), Turbo Wolf (UK), The Vaccines (UK)
There’s been a buzz about Year of the Locust for quite sometime now. They’ve seen some great stages and opened for some very well-known acts along the way.
2018 is YOTL’s year, with new music on the way and a solid tour already in progress it won’t be long until they headline in 2019.
Check out our exclusive interview below:
How long has the band been together?
The band has been together two and a half years.
What are some memorable experiences you’ve had on the road?
By far, playing a sold out crowd of 3,000+ people, and meeting the most amazing fans ever.
You’re on the road with Starset at the end of the month, do you like touring?
Yes we are with Starset, Grabbitz and Palisades. We absolutely love it! It has its challenges but completely worth it!
When you’re not on the road, how does the band keep occupied off the road?
We’re always writing music, and spending time with friends and family.
Recently Dolores O’Riordan of the Cranberries passed away, how did her music influence the band?
Wow, yeah it’s still unbelievable to us you know? Still hurt from Prince, Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, Tom Petty, and Malcolm Young. It hurts to see the songwriters and entertainers that you look up too leave this earth, but their legacy will live on through family, fans, and everyone who supports music and following their dreams.
What are some of your favourite upcoming bands out there?
Scars Heal in Time and Sons of Texas to name a few!
Your last release was in 2016, is there new Year of The Locust on the way?
Absolutely there is!! We just wrapped up a few weeks in a cabin and in the studio with Producer Brian Bonds formerly “Florida Georgia Line”. We created something amazing! Our first single is titled “Sunrise”!
What is some advice you can give a band starting out?
Follow your heart, save your money, never give up, and always kiss and thank your momma!
Jake E Lee, apparently knows that you can drink a whole bottle of Jack..can you elaborate on that experience ?
Uhhhh…..we plead the fifth on that one! Haha, we had a great time with Jake and crew! Awesome guys, and they know how to have a good time!
What are some bands you hope tour with?
Asking Alexandria, nothing more, Dmx, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach!
Year of The Locust’s goals for 2018 are?
A continuation from last year! Swarm and take over the world! Oh and get some fish and chips in London!
With the passing of the great Dolores O’Riordan, I started looking back on The Cranberries discography. Dolores had a unique style and was respected by almost everyone in the music industry. Here’s the top 5 songs the Cranberries have put out:
1 . Zombie
When you hear the bands name, this song echoes in your head.
“Zombie” is a protest song by Irish rock band The Cranberries, written about the 1993 IRA bombing in Warrington, and in memory of two young victims, Johnathan Ball and Tim Parry. It was released in September 1994 as the lead single from their second studio album, No Need to Argue (1994). The song was written by the band’s lead singer Dolores O’Riordan, and reached No. 1 on the charts in Australia, Belgium, France, Denmark and Germany.
It won the “Best Song” award at the 1995 MTV Europe Music Awards
2. Ode To My Family
It was released in November 1994 as the second single from their second studio album No Need to Argue. The song was a hit in most of the European countries where it was released, peaking at number four in France, its highest position internationally, and number five in Australia. In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album.
It was released in 1992 as the band’s debut single, later appearing on the studio album, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?. An early 1990 version was released in Ireland only in the summer of that year. It reached the Top 15 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay and the top 30 on the UK charts in early 1994.
The backing vocals on the song are sung by Mike Mahoney, ex-boyfriend of Cranberries lead singer Dolores O’Riordan. This hit was also a main feature of the Cranberries in the 1994 Woodstock Revival Festival.
In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album.
It was the first single from their fifth studio album, Wake Up and Smell the Coffee, released in 2001. The promotional video, directed by Keir McFarlane, had to be edited in consequence of the 9/11 attacks, which was partly responsible for the single’s low chart positions in their native Ireland (number 28, their eleventh and last Top 40 hit there) and the UK (number 89, their first single to miss the top 40 since “Animal Instinct”), but became a Top 5 hit in Portugal, Spain and Italy.
5. When You’re Gone
It is the third single from their third studio album To the Faithful Departed (1996). The music video was directed by Karen Bellone and was released at the end of 1996. The song was first played during the North American leg of the No Need to Argue Tour in Autumn 1994. In 2017, the song was released as an acoustic, stripped down version on the band’s Something Else album
What Cranberries is your favourite? Have your say in the comments or email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Our first guest for season 2 of the World Rock Countdown, was discovered on the 13th installment of the show in 2017. He recently finished a tour with the Glorious Sons in Canada, and is surely going to completely blowup in 2018. With 600,00 followers on Spotify, and growing. grandson is an up and coming artist who’s got what it takes to make serious splash on the music industry. His music is real, speaks truth, and definitely holds nothing back.
He’s determined and for the first time in a long time, I honestly feel really inspired by an artists’ story. grandson, is a very driven, well spoken person, who will no doubt meet his musical goals. He’s got a confidence in himself that many artists lack these days, and this is what sets him apart from the rest. You need to believe in yourself to succeed and grandson has what it takes. Click play to hear podcast below:
2017, was filled with great finds. The World Rock Countdown has discovered and uncovered thousands of bands this past year. This is a list of the 30 bands you need to hear from the past year. Lets get started!
IN MOTIVE (USA) – Out of all the bands discovered on the first season of the World Rock Countdown, this band is one of the fan favourites. The only bad thing about this band is that we don’t have new music! – we remain on the hook with two great singles.
2. Young Kings (UK) – One of the most talented upcoming bands in the UK. Hard working musicians, who’ve got a solid emotional feel to their music.
3. Middle Kids (Australia) – if Elton John loves them, so should you!
4. Days of Jupiter (Sweden), our first feature on the show we awarded to this band. They’ve got an silky smooth hard rock sound that will keep you coming back for more!
5. Skies Collide (Australia), they’ve got such a promising sound that I am more than positive they’ll be playing big stages around the world in the upcoming years. Definitely one of my favourites, give them a listen and get hooked!
6. The Penelopes (France) – for fans of July Talk and U2. They’ve got this interesting feel about their tunes. It’s an indescribable feeling. I usually enjoy this groups music best with a bottle of red and a few friends.
7. Super Best Friends Club(UK), probably the closest resemblance I’ve heard to the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever! The bands name clearly is self explanatory. Get into the groove.
8. Jesper Binzer (Denmark), smokin’ hot Danish rock who’s quickly taking over Europe.
9. Ghost Atlas (USA) – one of the best finds from USA in the year 2017. A band to look out for in 2018!
10. Marina City (USA), rocking out of Chicago. If you’re looking for a band wagon to get on before it breaks out Marina City is one of those bands.
11. Mallory Knox (UK) – one of the WRC’s crowned jewels. Been banging my head since discovering Mallory Knox.
12. Vistas (UK) – you’ll love this band.
13. Hundred Suns (Canada) – features members from Norma Jean, Dead And Divine, and Everytime I Die.
14. Citizen Soldier (USA), I love a band that stands for something.
15. grandson (Canada), was ecstatic to see him open up for one of my favourite bands. Keep grandson on your watch list for 2018!
16. Beat Steaks (Germany) – addictive German rock n roll!
17. Hippo Campus (USA) – very ambient alternative rock. Goes well with surfing the net, or taking a nice cruise down the Pacific Coast Highway on a beautiful summer day!
18. Shout Out Louds (Sweden) , one the worlds best bands right here!
19. IOV (Canada), can it get any better? emotion driven rock recorded at Abbey Road Studios
20. SHAKA PONK (FRANCE) – There’s generational talents out there still..no reason to get worried.
21. Kingswood (Australia), one of the most promising bands discovered on The World Rock Countdown. A generational talent out of Australia. Get Stoked!
22. Cleopatrick (Canada), could these guys save Canadian rock and roll?
23. Normandie (Sweden), catchy hooks and entertaining melody driven guitar riffs. Get your chant on!
24. Wilder (USA), alternative folk rock outta Nashville!
25. Mainland (USA), this could be the catchiest song of 2017. Even Perez Hilton loves them! Dig in. You will hear this on your radio in 2018
26. Of Allies (UK), hard rock headed for world domination!
27. Merge(France) , an emerging artist out of France who’s got smooth choruses and an amazing sound.
28. These New South Wales (Australia), takes there influences and puts them on display in this track. Think vintage punk rock mixed with some newer Iggy Pop.
29. The White Dominos (Denmark) – Mix the rock with some good old groove from 80’s disco.
30. DRMCTHR (USA), gives me the Deftones feel mixed with some more ambient guitars.